Groundsworker – Summer
Education / Training and Skill(s)
• Must have basic knowledge of proper methods of maintenance, care and installation of landscape beds, lawns, trees,and of the general grounds.
• Must have basic knowledge about the care and proper use of tools and equipment used in the development and maintenance of lawns, landscape beds, trees, hardscape areas and general grounds.
• Must have basic knowledge about insects, chemicals and the proper methods used to control such undesirable elements.
• Must have the ability to distinguish between different cleaning materials, fungicides and herbicides, with the ability to read and understand label information.
• Must be able to work with the public in a courteous and responsible manner.
The position of Grounds Maintenance Person maintains the entrance, parking lot, company grounds and other ornamental areas on the property of the Retirement Community. The position requires an individual who is capable of exercising independent judgment and performs work required for the care, maintenance and development of the lawns, landscape beds, parking lot trees, and general grounds of the Retirement Community.
• Safely operates equipment such as hand tools and small equipment.
• Performs routine safety inspections on all equipment pre and post use.
• Complete knowledge of how to operate equipment safely.
• Able to read and interpret safety tags on equipment.
• May sit, stand, stoop, climb ladders and walk for long periods of time.
• Assists Mechanic with preventive maintenance on equipment – change oil and filter; grease moving parts; air up and/or change tires; sharpen or change blades, belts, springs, chains; clean by pressure washing or with compressed air; sand, prime and paint rust areas.
• Communicates effectively with other employees.
• Performs road repairs and improvements – load and haul rock or hot/cold asphalt mix for patching of holes; fill cracks with asphalt emulsion; install, repair and clean out culverts.
• Uses hand tools to perform repairs and task: Jack hammer, shovels, rakes, hoes, levelers, chain saws, pruners, trimmers, bow saws and other small hand tools as required.
• Performs manual labor for extended periods of time under some unfavorable weather conditions.
Physical Demands/Work Environment
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to reach with hands and arms. The employee frequently is required to stand, walk, and use hands to finger, handle, feel or operate objects, tools or controls. The employee is occasionally required to sit, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch.
• The employee may be exposed to wet and extreme hot and cold weather conditions, fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals and vibration. The employee is occasionally exposed to risk of electrical shock.
• The employee must be able to lift, pull, and lift 50 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move, with assistance, more than 85 pounds.