Education / Training: A high school diploma or equivalent preferred.
Skill(s): Moderate reading, writing, grammar, and mathematics skills; proficient interpersonal skills and communicative skills; ability to follow recipes and measure food items; knowledge of nutrition and food services; ability to stand, bend, kneel, stoop, climb, push, pull, and lift items weighing 30 lbs. or less; visual and auditory skills.
Experience: A minimum of one (1) year of previous serving and/or institutional dietary work experience preferred.
General Responsibilities: Responsible for performing a variety of duties relating to the serving of food in the dining room and the maintenance of the dining room; implementing specific procedures and programs; coordinating work within the unit or department, as well as with other departments and units; reporting pertinent information to the immediate supervisor; responding to inquiries or requests for information.
Essential Duties: Performs various duties relating to the serving of food in the dining room and the maintenance of the dining room as follows:
- Prepares appropriate tools setup for each meal.
- Receives and executes diet orders from the nursing staff indicating changes in diets and residents.
- Understands and recalls each special diet and serves it to the correct resident both in the dining room and the infirmary.
- Sets up dining room in preparation for serving.
- Receives and verifies food from cooks. Sets up steam table in dining room, records food temperatures, rectifies any temperature issues, and serves meals to all residents adhering to specific diets.
- Clears food and dishes from tables and changes linens as necessary.
- Makes certain that all dining areas are maintained in a neat, clean, sanitary, and safe manner; adheres to daily cleaning schedules.
- Fills nourishment requisition sheets for all units. Stocks snack carts for all units.
- Assist dishwasher with washing of dishes, pots, and pans.
- Coordinate with other departments to ensure proper meal service in all dining rooms.
- Implements specific procedures and programs.
- Insures an atmosphere which allows for the privacy, dignity, and well-being of all residents in a safe, secure environment.
- Follows universal precautions.
- Maintains departmental awareness of individual responsibilities under the established Fire Safety/Disaster plan.
- Insures the confidentiality of all resident- and/or employee-related information.
- Insures compliance with established quality assurance program.
- Coordinates specific work tasks with other personnel within the unit or department as well as with other units and departments in order to ensure the smooth and efficient flow of information.
- Abides by the current laws and organizational policies and procedures designed and implemented to promote an environment which is free of sexual harassment and other forms of illegal discriminatory behavior in the work place.
- Cooperates with, participates in, and supports the adherence to all internal policies, procedures, and practices in support of risk management and overall safety and soundness.
- Reports pertinent information to the immediate supervisor as requested, or according to an established schedule; compiles information as necessary or as directed and provides data to appropriate Arbutus Park Manor personnel. Reports necessary equipment repair to the Food Service Director or Assistant Food Service Manager.
- Responds to inquiries relating to his/her particular area, or to requests from customers, other Arbutus Park Manor personnel, etc., within given time frames and within established policy.
Job Location: All kitchen and dining areas.
Work Environment/Equipment/ Machines: This job operates in a kitchen environment. This role routinely uses standard equipment such as telephones, Toaster, microwave, oven/stove, Coffee machine, juice dispenser, Dish machine, food processor, steam table, blender, and knives.
Ancillary Duties: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Equal Opportunity Employer: Arbutus Park Manor is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position.